Sorry guys...

if you're taking a break let us know!

rip

Sorry guys...

Post by rip » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:57 pm

I'm simply unavailable until further notice.

Huge changes in my life in the last 24 hours that need attention.

Hope to be active sooner than later but can't hazard a guess.
rip

Build a fire for a man, you keep him warm that night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

sammy
Site Admin

Re: Sorry guys...

Post by sammy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:24 pm

we're here for you bro

rip

Post by rip » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:48 pm

So what's going on:

17 days ago, over the course of.a.few hours, I lost the ability to.walk while at work and literally fell over. Has 2 guys at work dump me in one of their cars and off.to the ER where massive f*ckery ensured and they wasted a lot of time.

Lots of detail.left out, but once they agreed with my diagnosis it became literally you will be on the OR table in 30 after consulting my surgeon.

Was.on the table that night for emergency surgery for Cauda Equine Syndrome, which is rare but already on my radar as the worst that could happen for my historically messed up.spine. 5 hours to remove a ruptured disc and some bone. Disk ruptured and hit my spinal cord, tearing the dura (membrane over the nerves themselves in the spinal cord and went up I to the spinal canLe inside the vertebrae. This is not.good. not something they can reach to fix since it's surrounded by bone. They packed the tear with some type.of gelfoam and hoped it'd work.

4 days in ICU flat on my back with a tube in my spine collecting blood and looking for.spinal.fljid leaking from the tear. Literally flat, not allowed.to.sit up, nevermind effectively paralyzed from the hips down.

Kicked into.a.post surgery room for.a.couple days than acute rehab (almost literally bootcamp for spinal cord injuries, lots of sweat and work, hours a day in a gym and stuff.)

I should get kicked.out of post acute this week. Doing well, pretty messed up.but compared to.originally, doing great.

Varying degrees of.numbness and weakness hips.down, left is weaker than right. Everything gets a tiny bit stronger everyday, but it'll take a lot.of.time. Guessing 2 to 3 months before I'm back to work. Maintained control.of the nether regions, which is nice. Can walk with walker a few hundred feet at a time. Main limiting factors are muscle.fatigue (not all are firing, so the working muscles get overworked after a while.) And balance, because all the little twitch muscles you never knew you were using aren't up to.par. Strong enough to stand without a walker, but can't compensate fast or strong enough yet to stay there very long. Improving daily.

Anyways, will be outta here and home later this week, then out patient rehab 3x a week. So around... played this.one.close.to the chest initially, looked.like.it.could have been more serious, glad it isn't.

TLDR:. "Spinal cord injury" is not as much fun as it sounds.
rip

Venom
Site Admin

Post by Venom » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:13 pm

Damnnnn ..... wishing and hoping for a fast and full recovery ...
-[.40 cal ]- tomwzhere ***: lol imma be webcamming with charlie so he will see if i put it right
Ven: sounds sexual :roll:

rip

Post by rip » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:08 pm

Venom wrote:Damnnnn ..... wishing and hoping for a fast and full recovery ...
Thanks. Long term.I should be ok. Kinda use to nerve damage at this point (have prior surgery with screws, plates and cadaver bone holding me.together...). Hoping to.side step more but whatever...more battle scars.

Prob a few weeks before.I can drive too, which sucks. They put me.on a.sinulator yesterday to.prove to me how.much I sucked with the injury, and I actually did alright, lol. Prob is I can't guarantee foot is properly in position by feel. Too easy for me.to.slip.off and nail.the wrong peddle. Still think.its funny they wanted to prove I can't but did fine. I know.its dangerous and will hold.off.

Anyway, pretty wierd ride...
rip

rip

Post by rip » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 pm

Just an update, as stated in chat, came home this week. Everyone keeps checking on me but generally surprised how well I'm doing. It's a lot of work, but rather be home than the hospital any day. Came home, slept 8 hours, woke up, took meds, went back to sleep. Awesome.

Almost all bruises and crud gone, still have sutures (21 or 22?) coming out Monday. Also will start my outpatient routine soon. Once I get a routine going you should see more of me.

I literally have not turned on my main PC in over 4 weeks. Maybe tomorrow, have insurance stuff to fight about (they think I should be back at work on the 18th, lol), will let the surgeon beat them up. Closer to 2-3 months, which he already said on paper.
rip

sammy
Site Admin

Post by sammy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:01 pm

glad to hear a speedy recovery :D

rip

Post by rip » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Back to work this week. Thought I'd be best to come in while it's slow.

Still.using a cane, still somewhat messed up but ya, pretty good.
rip

Evangelist

Post by Evangelist » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:04 pm

Good to know you're doing better. I hope that's all to it and nothing else will happen other than a speedy return.

Return to “Departure - Arrival”