Any1 have tips for WR?

get the current facts here!

ftw. Rambo

Any1 have tips for WR?

Post by ftw. Rambo » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:54 am

ngVarsity Football for high school is coming and I am going to be a sophomore. I go to a small school of like 500 and so the opportunities are high. With that I know and been told by coaches I'm starting Wide Receiver for Varsity and I'm pretty scared.

I'm also not that big yet either. 5'9 145. We're a running team so I'm going have to block 90% of the time and it's mostly gonna be big corner backs so I don't want to fail and get taken out. Any tips?
ftw. Rambo

Evangelist

Re: Any1 have tips for WR?

Post by Evangelist » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:31 am

I know guys that are very small and they could take down guys twice their sizes. know your position, know what's needed of you, and always make yourself better.

Above all do not be afraid to get knocked down a few times. Its going to happen so it's up to you to knock them down first.

remember the all eternal words of baby Jesus: Never retreat, never surrender.

Fudd!

Post by Fudd! » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:01 am

This might be too late as your season is probably well under way. But oh well.

I played receiver all through high school and university. Granted I am a little bigger than you 6'5 224 .. size isn't everything when it comes to the position especially when it comes to blocking. Use your size to your advantage .. when it comes to blocking its all about leverage and getting your weight under you.

Take a hard step to the inside like you're running a slant and plant hard shoulder width apart to square up on the DB and open hand punch his chest plate right on the tits.. and mean hit that SOB as hard as you can to knock him off balance even for a second .. get your hands up around his armpits (still on his chest plate, if you're sneaky with it you can actually grab hold of his pads and steer him where ever you'd like) .. and you now have control of the DB. If you have a good RB you're only going to need to occupy the DB for a couple of seconds.

When it comes to LB's you're going to have more of an issue getting in front of them and squaring up .. so this is where you look for a clean crack back (my favourite thing to do!!!) look for a LB that is paying attention to the RB and moving sideways .. time your angle and put your shoulder into his chest as he turns to chase the RB. This also works nicely on DE.

If you're thinking you want to go to the next level, being a receiver than can block as well as make plays down field is a great way to separate yourself from the masses, coaches love a receiver that is willing to grind.

If you want tips on catching practice or getting off the line on bump coverage let me know.

tr3v360

Post by tr3v360 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:06 am

I say every time we die we do 20 push ups get it 8-)

bluefire672

Post by bluefire672 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:45 am

I played football was a beast blocker hard hitter. Best tip get low if u want too injure some1, other side note watch a sumo wrestling match lol no joke. See how they power palm into other opponent chest this makes them shift there balance. Hips are weak hit em there few plays ina row they will tire or get injured. Make sure never tackle with head low thats how u can get paralyzed.

Fudd!

Post by Fudd! » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:52 am

wow you sounds like 1 dirty player bluefire .. lol

Just going to say in my playing days if someone that was trying to block me hit me in the hips at first I would be confused since that has never happened to me .. and if they tried to hit me in the hips again they would get their ass beat...

Also if someone tried to chop block me (hit me low while blocking) they would also need to be willing to have my knee dropped onto their back .. or get kicked in the head ..

I never was one to let a cheap shot go ..

bluefire672

Post by bluefire672 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:56 am

Lol yea ty for bringing that up .played few people who try counter low blows when you go low they push shoulders or back down before contact too make you lose momentum. Also if you going head too head on the line similar too wrestling slaping hands away when they try too shove. But that comes with practice. If you ever land your ass in the grass gaurd your handsss dirty players step on hands with cleets on purpose.

Return to “News and Sports!”