CS psychology

whats your strategy?

Belcross

CS psychology

Post by Belcross » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:59 pm

hamb0ne wrote:Resource :enigma,loosen at gotfrag

It might not be obvious on the surface, but CS is a thinking game, and the players/team that predicts what the enemy is doing, or outsmarts them for their own objectives, will often win the round, even if outskilled.

When I play CS, there are 4 main rules that I live by. These are true for the majority of players imo.

1. Many players will use the same tactic over and over if it is working.
2. Many players will stop using a tactic as soon as they fail using it.
3. Many players have a goldfish memory, or at least do not remember past the last two rounds.
4. Many players will not adjust their game to counter enemy tactics unless the enemy tactic rolls right over them in particular.

Okay, looking at each one individually:

Everyone has their vices. I have mine. I will use a lot of the same ambush points on maps each time I play. When I call a rush one way, I almost always run the same path. If you know my game when I am winning, I am probably quite predictable

Most players have this mentality : if it works, don't change it. Because of this, if you find yourself running into a situation where you got badly owned, then DON'T rush in. While the enemy might have had the jump on you the first time around, you have the advantage here of having a good chance of knowing what is about to happen. When this happens, the FIRST angle to check for danger is the one you last got killed from. The chances are good the same trap is set. Often you can turn an ambush upon itself simply by remembering where people were last time, and getting the jump on them.

2. Many players will stop using a tactic as soon as they fail using it.This is especially true when the team is disorganised and/or inexperienced. Nobody likes getting slaughtered. The second bombsite charge on Cobble is a good example here - if done right, you will almost certainly win the round. If done slowly or badly, you will almost certainly lose the round.

This rule applies on both an individual and team level. If a player tries something and get dealt to, then it's very unlikely they will use it again straight away. On a team level, if you block a rush in one direction with overwhelming force, you can almost guarantee the rush will not come that way next round - it will either stall halfway to the point of contact, or go another way. It is up to you to re-deploy accordingly.

3. Many players have a goldfish memory, or at least do not remember past the last two rounds.
This is closely related to the first two rules - if you ambush someone in a good position, they will likely check there next time they pass that way. However if you are not there, within a couple of rounds they will stop checking that position as thoroughly. Good tactics are reusable a lot without getting to the stage of being predictable - you can usually live with maybe 3 decent spots around an area and almost always get the jump on people.

4. Many players will not adjust their game to counter enemy tactics unless the enemy tactic rolls right over them in particular.
This is more applicable from the point of view of the attacking team - you can often head straight to the objective point via the same route repeatedly without drawing the attention of a disorganised team if casualties en route for the enemy are low.

A prime example of this is planting the bomb on dust2. There are four routes so the Ts have a bit of choice. I find SO often that the middle path (right down ramp, left then run along top of ramp down, right along alley, then up the steps to the CT spawn) is rarely guarded. In fact, I recall a recent game where we used that path probably 80% of the time and only ONE of the enemy team tried to block it (hard against 4+ Ts). Because we killed very little of the enemy team on the way to the bomb site, they were not that aware how we reached it so easily (I guess) and were not communicating well enough to organise defense here. We planted pretty much every time the bomb went this way (sometimes the bomb carrier would ignore the call of which way we were going, grrr).

puppet

Re: CS psychology

Post by puppet » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:16 pm

i wrote that

i just got jipped :x

commanderinchief99

Re: CS psychology

Post by commanderinchief99 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:19 pm

2. Many players will stop using a tactic as soon as they fail using it.

this is wise
anyone new should apply these for sure yea goes without saying

Return to “CS tips and helpful hints!”