Selective Enforcement & Rule Interpretation

speak and you will be heard!

Overkill

Selective Enforcement & Rule Interpretation

Post by Overkill » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:19 pm

First of all, this is my second post and both are complaints; I don't like that this is the only time I get involved in the server, but it's really the only time I feel like there's something to be done.

I am not going to name specific admins in this post, because I don't want this to be about pointing the finger; only clarifying things for myself and the admins who are doing this. It's no secret that I disagree with both the language rules and wall spamming rule, but for the most part I abide by them because there's not a whole lot of WC3 servers to play in these days and I do like that about this server more than I dislike the rules.

Part 1: Selective Enforcement
Lately, a lot of the newer/lower ranked admins have begun to enforce one rule, but not another, or only in some circumstances. For example, a player CLEARLY had a friend in the server give the last enemy's position away - either that or he toggled wallhacks (doubtful) - and it was a round that the opposing team was a short time away from winning. The admin in the server at the time was informed by SEVERAL players via chat/verbally and when I said something to the effect of "That was complete BS", I was then told to watch my language or I would be kicked, and that the ghosting player's score was bad and to leave it alone. When I dissented, I was told to "stop telling [the admin] what to do or I would be removed". Other times, it's players who are refusing to do the objective - they're friends with the admin online or in other cases they ARE the admin - and it becomes okay for the CT not to try to defuse, etc. because it would hurt their score/rank to try. "There's Ts guarding the bomb! I'm not going to defuse lol" - Admin. Am I totally off base in seeing this as wrong/a bad thing?

Part 2: Rule Interpretation
I have seen a lot of variance in rule interpretation. Best example I have is what constitutes inappropriate language. I was told by one person that words like the f-bomb are never okay, while for example the word shit depends on how it's used (you piece of...) = not okay, (oh...) = okay. The next admin who comes in says it's never okay to use anything possibly bad, even crap...and the one after that has their own set of what's okay and what isn't...Is there a set of specific guidelines they should be following?

MarioBros

Re: Selective Enforcement & Rule Interpretation

Post by MarioBros » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:55 pm

You can say it was me the one "not doing objectives" I wont mind. What you don't seem to understand is that I'm not gonna go get myself killed when I know a human is guarding the bomb. It is stupid to proceed and try to disarm the bomb like that. I cant see how you don't understand that. Its not like I'm evading my objective, I'm trying to get it done without danger. Like anything you would do that had any danger involved.
I really could care less about my score/rank because its a mod not a regular CS, so your rank isn't reflected by your game skills.
Now, I see how you can complain about others, but what about yourself? I've seen you MULTIPLE times not doing your objective and you say lame excuses to cover yourself from doing them. So why would I (we) take you seriously?
Even when you get killed you have something to complain about.

And to your second complaint. You are in the right. You can say crap or bs. I don't remember shit being ok.
"Text translated via Google Translate"

ScorpioN

Post by ScorpioN » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:01 pm

hell, damn, crap, and B.S. abbreviated are okay

F-bombs, "shit" written out, are not okay

Keep it positive though, CS is just a game. Everyone is trying to relax and have fun. :D
If things aren't going your way, take a deep breath, smile, and play on giving it 100%!

Record a demo of any admin not doing their objectives, they will be dealt with accordingly. Rest assured. Unless it's a suicidal 1v4 situation, admins CT sided should always try to defuse the bomb.

Overkill

Post by Overkill » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:17 pm

ScorpioN wrote:hell, damn, crap, and B.S. abbreviated are okay
F-bombs, "shit" written out, are not okay

Keep it positive though, CS is just a game. Everyone is trying to relax and have fun. :D
If things aren't going your way, take a deep breath, smile, and play on giving it 100%!

Record a demo of any admin not doing their objectives, they will be dealt with accordingly. Rest assured. Unless it's a suicidal 1v4 situation, admins CT sided should always try to defuse the bomb.
I used the full word, not abbreviated BS. It was a pretty knee-jerk reaction to this guy who was 3/6 stopping dead in his tracks, changing direction, looking through the wall at the guy and keeping his crosshair locked on, running straight to him, and shooting him. Which, again, was completely okay because his score was bad; I see that in the same light as "Who cares if he's using a shakebot and walls, he's not doing well with them".
MarioBros wrote:You can say it was me the one "not doing objectives" I wont mind. What you don't seem to understand is that I'm not gonna go get myself killed when I know a human is guarding the bomb. It is stupid to proceed and try to disarm the bomb like that. I cant see how you don't understand that. Its not like I'm evading my objective, I'm trying to get it done without danger. Like anything you would do that had any danger involved.
I really could care less about my score/rank because its a mod not a regular CS, so your rank isn't reflected by your game skills.
Now, I see how you can complain about others, but what about yourself? I've seen you MULTIPLE times not doing your objective and you say lame excuses to cover yourself from doing them. So why would I (we) take you seriously?
Even when you get killed you have something to complain about.

And to your second complaint. You are in the right. You can say crap or bs. I don't remember shit being ok.
I try to do my objective - sometimes it's impossible, or I missed the bomb planted sound and others I'm just too obsessed with tracking down someone that I want dead. Still, I've defused a bomb with 5-7 Ts alive by making noise happen elsewhere like an HE nade so they go chase it, or human + cloak + wall (westwood is great for that). It might be dumb, but it's still your objective ;-) If you see me being a turd, call me on it - I'm okay with that.

I still think saying "oh shit" on the mic when someone scares you so bad you jump shouldn't be an issue.

ScorpioN

Post by ScorpioN » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:28 pm

Overkill wrote: I used the full word, not abbreviated BS. It was a pretty knee-jerk reaction to this guy who was 3/6 stopping dead in his tracks, changing direction, looking through the wall at the guy and keeping his crosshair locked on, running straight to him, and shooting him. Which, again, was completely okay because his score was bad; I see that in the same light as "Who cares if he's using a shakebot and walls, he's not doing well with them".
We do care about hackers very much here at .40cal. But we only ban with a demo of the player you provide in question. If you don't have proof of this guy hacking, we can't do anything about it. One player's word is as good as another.

To record a demo, type the following in console: record [filename]
To stop recording the demo, type stop in console. Upload your demo to a file sharing site and post the link to our Banlands. We will take care of it from there within 24 hours.

MarioBros

Post by MarioBros » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:16 pm

Ok, thanks for your input.
No shit or bullshit. Please.
"Text translated via Google Translate"

Overkill

Post by Overkill » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:22 pm

ScorpioN wrote:To record a demo, type the following in console: record [filename]
To stop recording the demo, type stop in console. Upload your demo to a file sharing site and post the link to our Banlands. We will take care of it from there within 24 hours.
I've been at this for a while; I know =( There wasn't time to do that and it was a one-off with his buddy, otherwise I would have. I was more concerned with how the admin at the time handled himself.
MarioBros wrote:Ok, thanks for your input.
No shit or bullshit. Please.
fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeee =(

Glazed

Post by Glazed » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:01 am

Overkill I like you, you are fun to play with but I do have to say since I have been playing with you, you have potty mouth/ sailor's mouth etc. I cant count the inappropriate things (albeit obviously jokes) that you have said to me it would be tons. (maybe not considering my history with -[.40 cal]-) Ie you seem to be deadest on getting filacio from a man who you don't know. (again hilarious but not appropriate). I don't wear a tag anymore but I still do play and you and I both know if you say you don't swear you are lying.

You just wait until there is no admins around before you cut loose. I see your complaint here on the objectives rule might likely be based on how butthurt you got the other day when Mario came by and smoked you (while taking me out for that matter lol) instead of defusing. Am I way off base here?

Either way the only conduct you are responsible for here is your own. Ease up on the trash talk and do your best to do objective you will be fine. If you find a new admin 1 or 2* doesn't have it right? Then PM a 3* so they can help coach the admin appropriately. We are all trying to have a good time and you are intelligent enough to follow these rules even if you don't agree with them.
Last edited by Glazed on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
GlazeD

ladyToOLs

Post by ladyToOLs » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:25 am

I don't know anything about this particular situation so I won't comment on it BUT I do like the topic because I have seen some discrepancies as well with newer/older admins. I do see people saying the s-bomb and the admins won't say anything or even going as far as "f you" or "you f suck" and I don't know if it's just because the admins are not paying close attention to the chat box or maybe it's okay now? I know "wtf" is okay so I just don't know if anything else is allowed now?

I also see a lot of people camping out instead of completing their objective like if it's 1 CT v 3 Ts or something. So my question is to you higher ups, if I KNOW I'm going to die and it's kind of impossible odds, is it okay to not attempt to defuse the bomb after it's been planted? Or should we as players always try no matter what? And what about someone who is choosing to kill all CTs as a T with the bomb instead of planting the bomb? Does that count as completing the objective?

I haven't been an admin in a loooong time and I am not sure if I should correct people when an admin is not present because I'm unsure of what is allowed now and what isn't! Thanks guys! Also, Mario you're a BEAST when did you get so freaking good....

[G]ravity

Post by [G]ravity » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:41 pm

ladyToOLs wrote:I don't know anything about this particular situation so I won't comment on it BUT I do like the topic because I have seen some discrepancies as well with newer/older admins. I do see people saying the s-bomb and the admins won't say anything or even going as far as "f you" or "you f suck" and I don't know if it's just because the admins are not paying close attention to the chat box or maybe it's okay now? I know "wtf" is okay so I just don't know if anything else is allowed now?

I also see a lot of people camping out instead of completing their objective like if it's 1 CT v 3 Ts or something. So my question is to you higher ups, if I KNOW I'm going to die and it's kind of impossible odds, is it okay to not attempt to defuse the bomb after it's been planted? Or should we as players always try no matter what? And what about someone who is choosing to kill all CTs as a T with the bomb instead of planting the bomb? Does that count as completing the objective?

I haven't been an admin in a loooong time and I am not sure if I should correct people when an admin is not present because I'm unsure of what is allowed now and what isn't! Thanks guys! Also, Mario you're a BEAST when did you get so freaking good....
1st. Its NEVER ok to use F-Bombs or S-Bombs, If there is an admin present and someone uses it i'm pretty sure that admin wasn't paying attention or was doing something else.

2nd. Always Do your Objectives, Its a Rule, Its frustrating when someone like me who don't care about his K/D tries to do objectives and someone might be camping avoding them, and if you let slip by then other regulars are like " Im not going to do the objective because he/she didnt do it" AND as a T its fine to kill CT's but if you are at a bombsite and you Have a Bomb make sure to plant it, and if you don't have the bomb make sure you go look for it, and not camp.

3rd. Even if your not admin now you once were so your party of the family ;) so help enforce the rules now since you know them better.

4th. Mario Got Good By Hacking what you think lol he got skills? :lol:

Return to “Complaint Department!”