Could someone explain armor to me?

For The Menu - say /war3menu

KingTomis

Could someone explain armor to me?

Post by KingTomis » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:34 am

Hi all, I'm wondering how the armor in CS works and if it is any different in the WC3 mod.

I was looking around and pretty much everywhere said armor protects you just as well at 35% as it does at 100% with a different reduction in damage percentage based off of the weapon being shot with.

I'm wondering how this works with the Draenei class I've recently been playing with. Does 47 armor protect just as well as 470? I don't think it is considering it's the classes ultimate and you can pick armor up in chests but it got me wondering.

Could anyone smarter than me with understanding of CS/WC3 chime in?

Dante

Re: Could someone explain armor to me?

Post by Dante » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:10 am

Kevlar + Helmet:
Reduces damage by a fixed percentage depending on the gun.
Only applies when hit in the chest, stomach and arms for the kevlar.
Only applies when hit in the head for the helmet.
Legs do not receive the damage reduction from kevlar.

The way it works
The MP9 has a fixed damage reduction percentage of 50%.
If no armour, at close range and hit in the stomach, the MP9 inflicts 32 points of health damage.
With armour, if hit at the same range and place, the MP9 inflicts 16 points of health damage and 16 points of armour damage.
With only 4 points of armour left, if hit at the same range and place, the MP9 inflicts 28 points of health damage and 4 points of armour damage. The full damage reduction is applied, but whatever can't be removed from points of armour is removed from health instead.
Damage to both armour and HP is rounded before application. Health damage is rounded down and armour damage is rounded up.
Fear of spiders is arachnophobia. Fear of having no escape and being in closed or small spaces or rooms is claustrophobia. Fear of Dante is called logic.

KingTomis

Post by KingTomis » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:29 am

Thanks, so having 1000 armor doesn't really mean much when you still only have 100 health.

`MuiR

Post by `MuiR » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:35 am

It certainly does. That means for 1000 points of damage, you are taking that much reduced damage to the upper torso and head..I'd say it matters a lot. What armor helps against the most is pistol and grenade damage.

NonMagical

Post by NonMagical » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:39 pm

From my own personal experience, here is what I have to say about armor. Note that what I'm saying is anecdotal. I've never seen official numbers or mechanics somewhere, but maybe they are out there if you look for them.

What I have experienced:
  • *Some armor is better than no armor (go figure).
    *VIP on hostage maps in regular CS seem to take far more hits than a regular player. VIPs on hostage maps have 200 armor vs the 100 armor of a regular player. This could very well be something specific with the VIP role, and unrelated to the fact that they have 200 armor.
    *Having having an incredible amount of armor does not make you invincible.
It is my personal assumption that the VIP phenomenon is something else other than the fact that they have 200 armor. Heck, it has been so long I'm wondering if it was just a mental thing but I'm almost positive they take more shots to kill regularly. People in the WC3 server like to stack up to 500+ armor because then they can not worry about it for a while. Armor probably works the same as it does in Half-Life (the suit had armor in Half-Life).

Glazed

Post by Glazed » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:11 am

All hit boxes in the chest and lower body damage groups are protected by kevlar, including the arms.

2. The armor takes half the damage saved, not all of it. (ie 80 dmg takes away 40 armor)

3. Damage to both armor and HP is rounded before application, so there's no hidden fraction. HP damage is rounded down and armor damage is rounded up.

These rules are independent of the quantity of armor remaining.

(http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=3070590)

Bottom line is more armor, higher chance to live. I look at it mostly for small arms fire, glock / mp5 etc, these weapons are drastically reduced in effectiveness by armor, also leg /arm shots and nades are reduced substantially.

My tactic, and I am sure others too. Is to trade of some gold at the start of a map and boost my armor spec to 1500-2000, that way I don't need to rebuy kevlar/helm at the start of the map every round and I get a distinct advantage over a lot of the 1st round weapon picks. Also it is cheaper most times to just buy the Steel item over that as it provides you double the armor.
GlazeD

BOOM- toe shot

Post by BOOM- toe shot » Sun May 11, 2014 12:27 pm

BM + 100 armor = invicible to fully powered orc nades.
BOOM- toe shot

BOOM- toe shot

Post by BOOM- toe shot » Sun May 11, 2014 12:29 pm

Also OWNX has all the exact numbers, we should request him to post them here. >.> Albiet having exact numbers is going to make op players further more op being that they'll maximize their strategy for better outcome via kills.
BOOM- toe shot

Return to “#7 Warcraft3 (xp saved) ---------------------108.181.1.219:27021”